NanoFab facilitates multidisciplinary research efforts for ASU affiliated faculty and external researchers. Our class 100 cleanroom contains a wide array of equipment and there is critical infrastructure and professional technical support available to help you achieve your research goals.
Nanoporous diatom shells on silicon chips
Biomineralized Diatom shells exhibit impressive features, such as a hierarchical pore structure with the smallest pores having a diameter of 40 nanometers. This structure makes them extraordinarily mechanically stable, while allowing a short pore length. This makes them very attractive for nanoparticle filtration applications, the study of cell-to-cell communication and ion channel sensors based on nanoscale bilayer lipid membranes.
The purpose of this project was to combine the advantages of the Diatom shells with silicon-based MEMS devices. At the ASU NanoFab facility, photolithography and deep reactive ion etching is used to create through-wafer vias in silicon to allow fluidic access to the thin nanomembranes.
Researchers: M. Goryll, B. L Ramakrishna and Sandwip K. Dey
Plasma lithography for cell networks formation
A versatile plasma lithography technique is developed to generate stable surface patterns for guiding cellular attachment.This technique is applied to create cell networks including those that mimic natural tissues and has been used for studying several, distinct cell types. In particular, we have applied this method to form diverse networks with different cell types for transformative investigations in collective cell migration, intercellular signaling, tissue formation, and the behavior and interactions of neurons arranged in a network.
Researchers: M. Junkin and P. K. Wong.
Publication: “Probing Cell Migration in Confined Environments by Plasma Lithography”, Biomaterials, vol. 32, pp. 1848-1855, 2010
3D flexible device fabrication project (NSF) and micro lunar seismometers project (NASA)
In this project we fabricated flexible and stretchable 3D micro devices using 1) surface micromachining of polymer with full flexibility, 2) thin film transferring technology with fully stretchability, 3) laser dynamic forming on 3D surface to deform or bond pre-fabricated thin film flexible micro devices on 3D micro surface structure.
Another objective was to develop a high-performance, lightweight, low-power consumption, robust seismometer for lunar and Mars exploration, collaborating with seismologists at ASU and MET technology Inc. using molecular electronic transducers for seismology measurement.
Researchers: Hongyu Yu
Funding: NSF, NASA
Additional NanoFab projects
Nano-antennae array fabricated using electron beam lithography and metal lift-off. The structure is intended for application in rapid DNA sequencing using fluorescence enhancement.
Cross-section of a membrane containing 30 million nanopores each with a diameter of 40 nm for protein separation. The nanopore array is etched into a silicon-on-insulator substrate using a combination of electron beam lithography and deep silicon etching.
Outside user publications
- M. Junkin, S. L. Leung, Y. Yang, Y. Liu, J. Volmering and P. K. Wong. “Plasma Lithography Surface Patterning for Creation of Cell Networks” Journal of Visualized Experiments, DOI: 10.3791/3115, June 2011 [University of Arizona]
- F. A. Marino and G. Meneghesso. “Multifunctional Field-Effect Transistor for High-Density Integrated Circuits”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 32, pp. 264-266, Mar. 2011 [University of Padova]
- M. Junkin and P. K. Wong. “Probing Cell Migration in Confined Environments by Plasma Lithography” Biomaterials, vol. 32, pp. 1848-1855, Dec. 2010 [University of Arizona]
Outside user conference presentations
- M. Junkin, Y. Liu, P. Deymier and P. K. Wong. “An Integrated Mechanostimulation System for Probing Architecture Based Calcium Signaling in HUVEC Cells” in Proc. of the 24th IEEE Int. Conf. on Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, pp. 893-896, Jan. 2011 [University of Arizona]
Local user publications
- D. Cao, P. Pang, J. He, T. Luo, J.H. Park, P. Krstic, C. Nuckolls, J.Y. Tang, S.M. Lindsay “Electronic sensitivity of carbon nanotubes to internal wetting” ACS Nano, vol. 5, 3313, 2011 [Arizona State University, Oak Ridge National Lab, Columbia University]
- S.-N. Wu, S.-Q. Yu, D. Ding, S. R. Johnson, and Y.-H. Zhang, “Ultra High Luminescence Extraction via the Monolithic Integration of a Light Emitting Active Region with a Semiconductor Hemisphere”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. vol. B29, pp. 031213- 031219, May 2011.
- R. C. Scott, K. D. Leedy, B. Bayraktaroglu, D. C. Look, D .J. Smith, D. Ding, X. Lu, Y.-H. Zhang, “Influence of substrate temperature and post-deposition annealing on material properties of Ga-doped ZnO prepared by pulsed laser deposition”, J. Electron. Mater. Vol. 40, pp. 419-428, 2011.
- X. Qiu, R. Tang, J. Zhu, J. Oiler, C. Yu, Z. Wang, H. Yu, “The effects of temperature, relative humidity and reducing gases on the ultraviolet response of ZnO based film bulk acoustic-wave resonator”Sens. Actuators. B, vol. 151, pp. 360-364, 2011.
- Z. Wang, X. Qiu, S-J Chen, W. Pang, H. Zhang, J. Shi, H. Yu, “ZnO based film bulk acoustic resonator as infrared sensor”, Thin Solid Films, vol. 519, pp. 6144-6147, 2011.
- X. Qiu, R. Tang, S-J Chen, H. Zhang, W. Pang, H. Yu, “pH measurements with ZnO based surface acoustic wave resonator”, Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 13, pp. 488-490, 2011.
- Z. Wang, X. Qiu, J. Zhu, J. Oiler, S-J. Chen, J. Shi, E. S. Kim, H. Yu, “Directional Acoustic Underwater Thruster”, IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelect. Freq. Contr, vol. 58, pp. 1114-1117, 2011.
- Wei Xu, Saurabh Sinha, Tawab Dastagir, Hao Wu, Bertan Bakkaloglu, Donald S. Gardner, Yu Cao and Hongbin Yu, ‘Performance Enhancement of On-Chip Inductors with Permalloy Magnetic Rings’, IEEE Electron Device Letter, vol. 32 (1) pp. 69-71 (2011).
- Wei Xu, Hao Wu, Donald S. Gardner, Saurabh Sinha, Tawab Dastagir, Bertan Bakkaloglu, Yu Cao and Hongbin Yu, ‘Sub-100 µm and nH On-Chip Inductors with CoZrTa for GHz Applications’, J. Appl. Phys. vol. 109 (7), pp. 07A316-07A316-3 (2011).
- S. Choi, H-S. Lee, Y. Yang, P. Parameswaran, C. I. Torres, B. E. Rittmann, and J. Chae, “A μL-scale Micromachined Microbial Fuel Cell Having High Power Density,” Lab-on-a-Chip, vol. 11, pp. 1110-1117 (2011).<
- S. Choi, M. Goryll, L. Sin, P. Wong, and J. Chae, “Microfluidic-based biosensors toward point-of-care detection of nucleic acids and proteins,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, vol. 10, (2), pp. 231-247, (2011).
- W. Xu, X. Zhang, S. Choi, and J. Chae, “A High Quality Factor Film Bulk Acoustic Resonator in Liquid for Biosensing Applications,” IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 20,(1), pp. 213-220, (2011).
- X. Zhang, W. Xu, and J. Chae, “Temperature Effects on a High Q FBAR in Liquid,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 166, (2), pp. 264-268, (2011).
- W. Lepkowski, M. R. Ghajar, S. J. Wilk, N. Summers, T. J. Thornton, and P. S. Fechner “Scaling SOI MESFETs to 150 nm CMOS Technologies” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 58, pp. 1628-1634, 2011.
- I. Deligoz, S. Naqvi, T. Copani, S. Kiaei, B. Bakkaloglu, S. Je, and J. Chae, “A MEMS Based Power Scalable Hearing Aid Analog Front-End,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, vol. 5, (3), pp. 201-213, (2011).
- D. Kamalanathan, A. Akhavan and M. N. Kozicki “Low voltage cycling of programmable metallization cell memory devices” Nanotechnology vol. 22, 254017 doi: 10.1088/0957-4484/22/25/254017, June 2011.
- K. Ding, Z. Liu, L. Yin, H. Wang, R. Liu, M. T. Hill, M. J. H. Marell, P. J. van Veldhoven, R. Nötzel, and C. Z. Ning “Electrical injection, continuous wave operation of subwavelength-metallic-cavity lasers at 260 K” Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 98, 231108, doi:10.1063/1.3598961, June 2011
- I. Valov, R. Waser, J. R. Jameson and M. N. Kozicki “Electrochemical metallization memories-fundamentals, applications, prospects” Nanotechnology vol. 22, 254003 doi: 10.1088/0957-4484/22/25/254003, May 2011
- R. Roucka, R. Beeler, J. Mathews, M-Y Ryu, Y. Kee Yeo, J. Menéndez, and J. Kouvetakis “Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor-compatible detector materials with enhanced 1550 nm responsivity via Sn-doping of Ge/Si(100)” J. Appl. Phys. vol. 109, 103115, doi:10.1063/1.3592965, May 2011
- S. C. Puthentheradam, D. K. Schroder, and M. N. Kozicki “Inherent diode isolation in programmable metallization cell resistive memory elements” Applied Physics A – Materials Science & Processing vol. 102, pp. 817-826, March 2011
- H. Wang, M. Sun, K. Ding, M. T. Hil, and C-Z Ning “A Top-down Approach to Fabrication of High Quality Vertical Heterostructure Nanowire Arrays” Nano Lett., vol.11 (4), pp 1646–1650, doi: 10.1021/nl2001132, March 2011
- R. Roucka, J. Mathews, R. T. Beele, J. Tolle1, J. Kouvetakis, and J. Menéndez “Direct gap electroluminescence from Si/Ge1−ySny p-i-n heterostructure diodes” Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 98, 061109, doi:10.1063/1.3554747, February 2011
- R. Roucka, J. Mathews, C. Weng, R. Beeler, J. Tolle, J. Menéndez, and J. Kouvetakis, “High-Performance Near-IR Photodiodes: A Novel Chemistry-Based Approach to Ge and Ge–Sn Devices Integrated on Silicon” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 47, pp.213-222, February 2011.
- S. R. Baliga, M. Ren, and M. N. Kozicki “Self-healing interconnects for flexible electronics applications” Thin. Solid Films vol. 519, pp. 2339-2343, January 2011.
- C. Yu, K. O’Brien, Y-H. Zhang, H. Yu, and H. Jiang, “Tunable Optical Gratings Based on Buckled Nano-Scale Thin Films on Transparent Elastomeric Substrates”, Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 96, pp. 041111-041114, Jan. 2010.
- F. Chen, Q.A. Qing, J.L. Xia, & N.J. Tao, “Graphene Field-Effect Transistors: Electrochemical Gating, Interfacial Capacitance, and Biosensing Applications” Chemistry-an Asian Journal vol. 5, pp. 2144-2153, doi:10.1002/asia.201000252, 2010.
- X.P. Huang, , S.P. Wang, X.N. Shan, X.J. Chang, & N.J. Tao, “Flow-through Electrochemical Surface Plasmon Resonance Detection of intermediate reaction products”, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry vol. 649, pp. 37-41, doi:10.1016/j.jelechem.2009.12.027, 2010.
- J.L. Xia, NJ Tao, et. al., “The transport and quantum capacitance properties of epitaxial graphene”, Applied Physics Letters vol. 96, doi:162101, 10.1063/1.3396982, 2010.
- J.L. Xia, F. Chen, P. Wiktor, D.K. Ferry, & N.J. Tao, “Effect of Top Dielectric Medium on Gate Capacitance of Graphene Field Effect Transistors: Implications in Mobility Measurements and Sensor Applications”, Nano Letters vol. 10, pp. 5060-5064, doi:10.1021/nl103306a, 2010.
- C. Yu and H. Jiang, “Forming wrinkled stiff films on polymeric substrates at room temperature for stretchable interconnects applications”, Thin Solid Films, vol. 519, pp. 818-822, Aug. 2010.
- K.E. Yazzie, J.J. Williams, D. Kingsbury, P. Peralta, H. Jiang, and N. Chawla, “Digital Image Correlation Analysis of the Deformation Behavior of Pb-free Solders at Intermediate Strain Rates”, JOM, vol. 62, pp. 18-23, DOI: 10.1007/s11837-010-0102-y, July 2010.
- X. Qiu, Z. Wang, J. Zhu, J. Oiler, R. Tang, C. Yu, H. Yu, “The Effects of Relative Humidity and Reducing Gases on the Temperature Coefficient of Resonant Frequency of ZnO Based Film Bulk Acoustic Wave Resonator”, IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelect. Freq. Contr, vol. 57 pp. 1902-1905, 2010.
- Baoquan Ding, Hao Wu, Wei Xu, Hongbin Yu and Hao Yan, ‘Interconnecting Gold Islands with DNA Origami Nanotubes’, Nano Lett., vol. 10 (12), pp. 5065-5069 (2010).
- Tawab Dastagir, Wei Xu, Saurabh Sinha, Hao Wu, Yu Cao and Hongbin Yu, ‘Tuning the Permeability of Permalloy Film for On-Chip Inductor Applications’,Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 97, pp. 162506-1 to 162506-3 (2010).
- S. Choi, R. Wang, A. Lajevardi-Khosh, and J. Chae, “Using Competitive Protein Adsorption to Measure Fibrinogen in Undiluted Human Serum,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, pp. 253701-253701,(2010).
- Y. Yang and J. Chae, “Dual-column mini-separator to separate alpha-fetoprotein from fibrinogen and immunoglobulin,” IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 19, (5), pp. 1041-1049, (2010).
- R. Saha, N. Jackson, C. Patel and J. Muthuswamy “Highly Doped Polycrystalline Silicon Microelectrodes Reduce Noise in Neuronal Recordings In Vivo” IEEE Trans. Neural Systems and Rehabilitation, vol. 18 (5), pp. 489-497, (2010).
- T. Ray, H. Zhu, and D. R. Meldrum “Deep reactive ion etching of fused silica using a single-coated soft mask layer for bio-analytical applications” J. Micromechanics & Microengineering, vol. 20 (9), DOI: 10.1088/0960-1317/20/9/097002 (2010).
- J. He, H. Liu, P. Pang, D. Cao, S.M. Lindsay “Translocation events in a single walled carbon nanotube” J. Phys.: Condens. Matt., vol. 22(45), 454112, 2010
Local user conference presentations
- S. Choi and J. Chae, “ A Series Array of Microliter-sized Microbial Fuel Cell,” In Proc. of 24th IEEE International Conference on Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems (MEMS), 2011, pp. 1289-1292. DOI: 10.1109/MEMSYS.2011.5734669
- Z. Wang, J. Zhu, X. Qiu, R. Tang, C. Yu, J. Oiler, E. S. Kim, H. Yu, “Directional Acoustic Underwater Thruster”, IEEE MEMS 2011, pp. 1114-1117, DOI: 10.1109/TUFFC.2011.1918.
- K. Ghosh, C.J. Tracy, S. Herasimenka, C. Honsberg, S. Bowden, “Explanation of the device operation principle of amorphous silicon/crystalline silicon heterojunction solar cell and role of the inversion of crystalline silicon surface,” In Proc. of the 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference,2010, pp. 1383-1386, DOI: 10.1109/PVSC.2010.5614387.
- K. Ghosh, C. J. Tracy, B. Dauksher, S. Herasimenka, C. Honsberg, S. Bowden, “Determination of charged state density at the interface between amorphous silicon and crystalline silicon by lateral conductance measurement,” In Proc. of the 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2010, pp. 2680-2683, DOI: 10.1109/PVSC.2010.5617086.
- S. Herasimenka, K. Ghosh, S. Bowden, C. Honsberg “2D Modeling of Silicon Heterojunction Interdigitated Back Contact Solar Cells” In Proc. of the 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2010, pp. 1390-1394, DOI: 10.1109/PVSC.2010.5614394.
- X. Qiu, R. Tang, J. Zhu, J. Oiler, Z. Wang, H. Yu, “Acetone Sensor Based on Film Bulk Acoustic Resonator”, In Proc. of IEEE Sensors, 2010, pp. 1546 – 1549, DOI: 10.1109/ICSENS.2010.5690310.
- X. Qiu, R. Tang, J. Zhu, Z. Wang, J. Oiler, H. Yu, “Lateral Field Excitation Film Bulk Acoustic Resonator As Infrared Sensor”, In Proc. of IEEE Sensors, 2010, pp. 623-626, DOI: 10.1109/ICSENS.2010.5690426
- W. Lepkowski, S. J. Wilk, B. Bakkaloglu, P. S. Fechner, and T. J. Thornton “Ultra-low dropout linear regulator using an SOI MESFET” in Proc. of the IEEE SOI Conference, October 2010 doi: 10.1109/SOI.2010.5641384
- S. Kim, W. Lepkowski, T. J. Thornton and B. Bakkaloglu “Analog image processing circuit with 0.25µm CMOS compatible SOS MESFETs” in Proc. of the IEEE SOI Conference, October 2010 doi: 10.1109/SOI.2010.5641396